Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. Pool parties, family gatherings, and trips to the beach are quickly approaching. I imagine a few people reading this blog have recently searched the internet looking for the best new diet or supplement to shed pounds fast. Well search no more, because the answer to your question is right here!
Unfortunately, my diet consists of something most people don’t want—REALITY! The fact of the matter is NO quick fix or miracle exists (regardless of what Dr. Oz says). In order to lose a pound of fat you need to be in a calorie deficit of approximately 3,500 calories. You want to lose 10 pounds in a couple weeks? Well get ready to be in a 35,000 calorie deficit over a 14 day span. This is a deficit of 2500 calories per day. Since many clients (even with 4 days of exercise) do not have this high of an average daily metabolism, it’s literally impossible to achieve.
Instead of continuing your search for that miracle pill or diet, start a food log and search for a calorie counting app and develop solid eating habits that will last a lifetime (Calorie Counter by Fat Secret is my favorite). Once you find that app, get up and move! It’s the healthiest way to spike your metabolism (plus it’s free).
Red Flags for any diet (Source: Federal Trade Commission)
1). Weight loss of two pounds or more a week for a month without dieting or exercise
- Creating a large enough calorie deficit to lose 2+ pounds for a significant period of time by calorie restriction alone can create nutritional deficiencies and do long term damage to metabolism
2). Substantial weight loss regardless of what you eat
- A calorie deficit must be created, therefore you cannot eat whatever you want with no regard to quantity
3). Permanent weight loss (once diet or pill is no longer used)
- No weight loss is permanent if the habits that caused weight gain in the first place are resumed
4). Blocks absorption of fat or calories to enable weight loss
- No medication that assists in the passage of food through body without the food being metabolized should be attempted without medical supervision
5). Safely lose more than three pounds per week for more than four weeks
6). Cause substantial weight loss for ALL users
- Everyone does not respond to the same things, which is why custom calorie goals and exercise prescription need to be taken into account
7). Substantial weight loss by wearing or rubbing something into the skin
- No research exists to support these claims
Four Considerations in Dieting
- No. Any diet that promotes eliminating an essential macronutrient (fat, protein, carbohydrate) is a questionable diet. Eat in moderation, but don’t restrict necessary parts of nutrition to shed weight
2). Should I eat organic? Will it help weight loss?
- There is absolutely ZERO credible evidence for this in scientific research. If you prefer organic foods, that’s fine because it won’t harm your dieting efforts, but it won’t necessarily help you shed weight more than “regular” food (plus, it’s expensive!). An organic food calorie is the same a non-organic food calorie
3). Should I take my calories under 1000?
- No, significant damage to your metabolism can occur
4). What is the best way to spike my metabolism?
- EXERCISE. There is no reason you can’t exercise to some extent EVERYDAY. I don’t mean taking a fitness class every day, but at least an hour of brisk walking or 20 minutes of HIGH intensity cardio. No time for it? Then health and weight loss isn’t a priority right now