Name: Kelly Doherty
Start: June 29th 2015
Fitness Practitioner: Brooke McCartney
Results to Date: Lost 17.5lbs of fat mass, and gained 2.5lbs of lean mass
1) How did you hear about AFS?
My friend and coworker, Kimberly, talked about AFS frequently, including her assessments and the group classes. I tried a free Weight Loss Solution (WLS) class with her, and I enjoyed it.
2) What/Who inspired you to take the first step toward getting in shape?
I had tried many types of workouts, including running independently, attending barre studio classes, exercising at a gym, doing hot yoga. I felt as if I was putting so much effort into working out but not seeing many health changes or results; I was not consistent with my nutrition. I was excited at the thought of starting a program that would include workouts and nutrition management on a weekly basis.
3) What initially intrigued you about our program/why did you sign up? Two aspects about AFS initially intrigued me: being held accountable and engaging in circuit training. First, plugging in my calories everyday via the app allows me to plan more successfully what I am going to eat that day and holds me accountable for my food decisions. Submitting food logs every Sunday motivates me to be healthy throughout the week. Second, circuit training sounded more appealing to me compared to types of duration type exercises I had done before, such as trying to run for 30 minutes straight or doing a studio class for 55 minutes straight. I liked the idea that WLS classes incorporate a variety of stations with intense periods followed by rest.
4) How did you achieve the success you’ve seen thus far?
Brooke has been a great practitioner, providing me with individualized advice and encouragement. For example, she has suggested techniques to incorporate more protein into my diet and checks in to see how my new workouts have been going. I think that preplanning my workouts for the upcoming week and meals for the upcoming day have helped a lot.
5) What changes have you noticed in your life since starting with AFS?
I feel stronger and more energized. When I sit down on the couch after work, I don’t instantly feel like I could take a nap. I think the biggest change since beginning with AFS is my mentality. In regards to exercise and healthy eating previously, I would categorize my thinking as “all or nothing.” I would work out for a few days and eat healthy for a few days and then if I had a less healthy day I would let these less healthy days continue for a few more days. Since starting with AFS, I have been able to alter this mentality and be more realistic with myself. If I have too much ice cream at the end of my day, I will log these calories and get back on track the next day.
6) Advice you can offer others looking to make changes you’ve made? Working out with friends makes it easier! Every weekend Kimberly and I decide which/if any WLS classes we can attend together the upcoming week. I look forward to the workout and it holds me accountable. Also, another piece of advice is to be realistic. Not every day is going to be perfect, but if you have a rough day try to get back on track the next 🙂
Thanks for the encouraging words Kelly! We’re glad to hear that you’re sticking to your healthy eating and enjoying it here as much as we enjoy having you!
[actionbutton color=”#ff4301″ link=”https://appliedfitness.wpengine.com/contact/”]Contact Us![/actionbutton]